[Everyone] South Africa: Post-doctoral Position in Multi-Wavelength Astrophysics

Christo Venter christo.venter7 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 15:11:18 EDT 2019

Dear All

Below an ad for a postdoc position that may be of interest to you.

Thanks
Christo

==========================

Post-doctoral Position in Multi-Wavelength Astrophysics within the Centre
for Space Research, South Africa

Applications are invited for a post-doctoral position available with the
Centre for Space Research, North-West University, Potchefstroom, South
Africa.

Our group has been involved in theoretical modelling of pulsars and
pulsar-related systems (isolated pulsars, pulsar wind nebulae, globular
clusters, and pulsar binaries) within a multi-wavelength context, but with
a special focus on high-energy and very-high-energy gamma rays. We have
contributed to science cases and data interpretation for H.E.S.S., Fermi
LAT and CTA. We have also more recently become involved in radio astronomy
projects that will increase our footprint in the MeerKAT and SKA
communities.

The successful candidate will be involved in multi-wavelength modelling and
/ or data analysis. He / she will strengthen our ties with the radio
community and will also be responsible to co-supervise graduate students
and perform outreach duties.

This position is available from March 2020 or soon thereafter for a period
of 2 years (including a 1-year probation period) with a possible extension,
depending on funding. Suitable candidates should have completed a PhD in
Astronomy / Astrophysics before the time of appointment, and should have a
strong record of active publishing and professional involvement in the
field at an international level. The candidate should be well-organised,
self-motivated, willing to travel and have good writing / oral
communication and programming skills.

The remuneration package is market-related, and the details thereof will be
discussed with short-listed candidates. The application deadline is 31
October 2019. Administrative support in terms of visa application and
relocation will be provided, but this will not include any financial
contribution.

For further information or submission of an application (that should
consist of a curriculum vitae and a description of research interests and
career goals), please contact Prof. Christo Venter, christo.venter at nwu.ac.za
Applicants should also ensure that two reference letters reach this email
before the application deadline.