[Everyone] sad news

Possenti, Andrea andrea.possenti at inaf.it
Tue Sep 15 18:08:21 EDT 2020

hi all,

I'm sorry to use this list to communicate sad news.

Last night, prof dr Nichi D'Amico suddenly and unexpectedly died at his
home in Sardinia, not far from the site of the Radio Telescope, which he
has been the maximum contributor to the construction of.

After having been one of the columns of pulsar research during the nineties
and the first years of 2000,
he indeed devoted himself first to the development of the Cagliari
Observatory and of the Sardinia Radio Telescope, and most recently to the
remarkable growth of the Italian Institute of Astrophysics (INAF), which he
became the President of on 2015 and (first case ever) was later confirmed
for additional 4 years, till the end of 2023.

A great researcher, an extraordinary science manager and, above all, a
friendly person endowed with an infinite passion for his work (first the
pulsars, then the SRT, finally INAF) and with a great humanity with all his
collaborators, which could be immediately appreciated when working side by
side or discussing with him.

I've been very lucky (and many with me) to meet and then to work with him
to fully experience all the above.

ciao Nichi,
Andrea